Carmel M. Morina
The New Jersey constitution decrees that the sheriff is the highest elected public law enforcement officer in every county. I am grateful for the opportunity to lead this office and I am proud of our highly trained professional staff. The successes they achieve in the daily performance of their tasks reflect on the value of their considerable training and their commitment to perform their sworn duties as officers. My non-sworn staff is likewise committed to everyday excellence.
The primary functions performed by the Sheriff's Office are mandated by statute. They include responsibilities in both civil and criminal areas of the law. These responsibilities include:
- Court Security Bureau - Providing security for the Justice Complex, Family Court Building, Old Court House, Adult Probation Office and the Fiscal Unit of Probation.
- Field Services Bureau - Includes the Special Investigation Unit which is responsible for the apprehension of all county fugitives.
- Criminal Identification Unit - Maintains photographs, fingerprints and criminal histories of all persons arrested for an indictable offense in the county.
- Civil Process Unit - Oversees the service of summonses and complaints, writs of execution, execution of judgments, and foreclosure sales of real property.
- Transportation Unit - Responsible for transporting adult and juveniles remands.
The total staff numbers 100, which includes the Sheriff, 2 Undersheriff's, 1 Chief, 1 Captain, 1 Chief Warrant Officer, 2 Lieutenants, 11 Sergeants, 68 Sheriff's Officers, and the civilian staff numbers 13.
The members of the Gloucester County Sheriff's Office are dedicated to protecting life and property. We are committed to providing all citizens with the highest quality law enforcement services and strive to perform our duties in an efficient and effective manner. While providing the traditional services of the Sheriff, we stand ready to support and augment all other law enforcement agencies. We recognize that the ability to successfully complete our mission is based on shared mutual respect and responsibility between the Sheriff's Office, county and municipal agencies, and the citizens we serve. As professionals, we will enforce the laws in a fair and impartial manner, recognizing both the statutory and judicial mandates of this Office, and at all times respecting and protecting the constitutional rights of every individual.
The Sheriff's Office Main Number: (856) 384-4600
Sheriff Carmel M. Morina (856) 384-4630
Undersheriff August E. Knestaut (856) 384-4632
Undersheriff Andre L. Bay (856) 384-4631