Fan Distribution for Seniors will take place on June 12th
(Woodbury, NJ) – Gloucester County Freeholder Director Robert Damminger and Freeholder Lyman Barnes said that a fan distribution day for seniors citizens will be held on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 and that the county’s Cooling Centers are available and they will be open throughout the summer months.
Freeholder Director Damminger said, “Forecasters are already calling for hot and humid conditions throughout the summer and we have already had a taste of that weather and it can be hard on our older residents.”
“Prolonged heat and humidity can present a serious health hazard, especially for young children, the elderly and persons taking certain medication which is why we distribute the fans and make sure there are cool places for our at-risk residents to seek relief,” Director Damminger said.
Freeholder liaison to the Department of Health and Senior Services Lyman Barnes said, “We have a fan distribution scheduled for our seniors because many live on extremely tight budgets and providing those with a fan can make a big difference in their quality of life on very hot days. If the weather gets too hot, seniors can always go to one of the county’s designated air-conditioned cooling centers which include the six nutrition sites, the county libraries and the Shady Lane Nursing Home.”
Director Damminger said that the Gloucester County’s ‘Keep Cool’ Fan Distribution will take place on Wednesday, June 12th from 10:00 am to 11:00 am at the Glassboro Senior Center located at 152 S. Delsea Drive in Glassboro and at Gloucester County Senior Services Offices at Budd Boulevard located at 115 Budd Blvd. in West Deptford from - 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm.
Under the guidelines set forth by the Older Americans Act, fans will be distributed to seniors 60 and above who have low incomes or possess a PAAD or Medicaid card. For more information, please call the Division of Senior Services at (856)384-6900.
Cooling Centers include:
Gloucester County Nutrition Site Locations:
Mantua Township Community Center
111 Mercer Ave.
Mantua, NJ 08080
(856) 468 - 4773
Glassboro Senior Center
152 S. Delsea Dr.
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Thorofare Fire Hall
Thorofare, NJ 08086
(856) 853 – 6496
Pfeiffer Community Center
301 Blue Bell Street
Williamstown, NJ 08094
(856) 728 – 1140
Franklin Community Center
1584 Coles Mill Road
Franklinville, NJ 08322
(856) 694 – 1413
Second Baptist Church
1534 Pine Street
Paulsboro, NJ 08066
(856) 423 – 3387
Shady Lane Nursing Home
256County House Road
(856) 224 – 6979
GCLS Branches and Summer Hours
East Greenwich Branch
535 Kings Highway
Mickleton, NJ 08056
Tuesday - Thursday 1pm-8 pm
Closed Friday,Saturday and Sunday
2 Center Street
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Greenwich Township Branch
Gibbstown, NJ 08027
Logan Township Branch
498 Beckett Road
Logan Township, NJ 08085
Mullica Hill Branch
389 Wolfert Station Road
Mullica Hill, NJ 08062
Sunday Closed until after Labor Day
1442 Kings Highway
467.0111 Monday-Thursday 10am-9pm
Friday 10am - 5pm
To avoid health complications from excessive heat:
- Drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic beverages.
- Make sure children and the elderly are drinking water, and ensure that persons with mobility problems have adequate fluids in easy reach.
- If you do not have air conditioning, spend time in air-conditioned places such as libraries, movies, malls or other public buildings during the hottest hours of the day.
- Wear loose and light-colored clothing. Wear a hat when outdoors.
- Reduce physical activity or reschedule it for cooler times of the day.
- Don't leave children, frail, elderly or disabled person, or pets in an enclosed car -- not even for a minute -- as temperatures can quickly climb to dangerous levels.
- Talk to your health care provider about any medicine or drugs you are taking. Certain medications -- such as tranquilizers and drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease -- can increase the risk of heat-related illness.
- Gloucester County seniors may seek shelter from the heat at any of the 6 nutrition sites, county branch libraries or Shady Lane Nursing Home