Cooling Centers Available at Gloucester County Locations Fan Distribution for Seniors will take place on June 15th
(Woodbury, NJ) - Gloucester County Freeholder Director Robert M. Damminger and Freeholder Deputy Director Warren S. Wallace said that the county's Cooling Centers are available for seniors and other residents that may not have air conditioning in their homes. The Freeholders said that prolonged heat and humidity can present a serious health hazard, especially for young children, the elderly and persons taking certain medications.
Freeholder Director Damminger said that the Gloucester County Department of Health has information on its website about how to avoid health complications from excessive heat and that cooling centers are designated throughout the county for those in need of relief from the heat.
"The elderly is one of the most vulnerable groups for health problems when the weather turns hot," said Freeholder Director Damminger. "We have a fan distribution scheduled for our seniors and we want our seniors to know there is relief from the heat this summer and we want them to be safe and not jeopardize their health," stated Damminger.
Freeholder liaison to the Department of Health and Senior Services Warren S. Wallace said, "If the weather gets too hot, seniors can always go to one of the county's designated air-conditioned cooling centers which include the six nutrition sites, the county libraries and the Shady Lane Nursing Home."
Director Damminger said that the Gloucester County's 'Keep Cool' Fan Distribution will take place on Wednesday, June 15th from 10:00am to 11:00am at the Glassboro Senior Center located at 152 S. Delsea Drive in Glassboro and at Gloucester County Senior Services Offices at Budd Boulevard located at 115 Budd Blvd. in West Deptford from 1:00pm to 2:30pm.
To avoid health complications from excessive heat:
* Drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic beverages.
* Make sure children and the elderly are drinking water, and ensure that persons with mobility problems have adequate fluids in easy reach.
* If you do not have air conditioning, spend time in air-conditioned places such as libraries, movies, malls or other public buildings during the hottest hours of the day.
* Wear loose and light-colored clothing. Wear a hat when outdoors.
Reduce physical activity or reschedule it for cooler times of the day.
* Don't leave children, a frail, elderly or disabled person, or pets in an enclosed car -- not even for a minute -- as temperatures can quickly climb to dangerous levels.
* Talk to your health care provider about any medicine or drugs you are taking. Certain medications -- such as tranquilizers and drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease -- can increase the risk of heat-related illness.
* Gloucester County seniors may seek shelter from the heat at any of our 6 nutrition sites, counties libraries or Shady Lane Nursing Home. If any Gloucester County senior has questions please contact (856) 218-4101
Cooling Centers include:
Gloucester County Nutrition Site Locations:
Mantua Township Community Center
111 Mercer Ave.
Mantua, NJ 08080
(856) 468 - 4773
Glassboro Senior Center
152 S. Delsea Dr.
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Thorofare Fire Hall
Thorofare, NJ 08086
(856) 853 - 6496
Pfeiffer Community Center
301 Blue Bell Street
Williamstown, NJ 08094
(856) 728 - 1140
Franklin Community Center
1584 Coles Mill Road
Franklinville, NJ 08322
(856) 694 - 1413
Second Baptist Church
1534 Pine Street
Paulsboro, NJ 08066
(856) 423 - 3387
Shady Lane Nursing Home
256 County House Road
(856) 224 - 6979
For Library locations residents can call the Gloucester County Library System at (856) 223-6000 or visit www.gcls.org.
Note: Gloucester County recently learned that certain models of Lasko fans manufactured in July 2002 - December 2005, were recalled. They include the following models: 3720, 3723, and 3733.The name, Lasko, is printed on the front of the fan. The model number is either stamped or printed on the bottom of the fan. There is a possibility that these model(s) may have been distributed through the Division of Senior Services in the past. If you believe you may have received one of these fans, please contact Lasko toll free at:(877) 445 - 1314, or visit their website at:www.laskoproducts.com, and the manufacturer will send you a free fused plug safety adaptor for your use. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to call the Division of Senior Services at: (856) 384 - 6900, or come out to one of our fan distribution sites listed above. Bring your old fan along and we will check it out for you. If you have one of the recalled models, we will help you obtain the recommended adaptor for safe use by the manufacturer.